Thursday, December 8, 2011

Contentment is a Feast Without End


“Happiness is self-contentedness.” – Aristotle

The other day at work I was sitting at my desk listening to my co-workers talk about golf or maybe they were talking about politics or diets.  I really don’t know what they were talking about; I was zoned out sitting in my office chair enjoying myself.  One of my co-workers, Jordan, turned to me and said, “Jill, you look content.  You’re just content with life aren’t you?”  I smiled and said, “Yeah, I am content.”    
Contentment means being mentally or emotionally satisfied with things as they are; peace of mind; happiness.  Self-content means to be content with oneself; self-satisfied.  I can’t say that I am 100% happy with myself at the moment so maybe I’m life-contented.  I am happy with my life right now and it shows.  I don’t have a permanent scowl on my face anymore! 
I believe we can choose whether we are happy or unhappy.  Many people see contentedness and happiness as the same thing.  In many ways they are, but when you’re happy, it’s a state of being, influenced by a number of factors, one of those factors being contentedness.  Contentedness is being satisfied with what you have; it influences happiness.  You can choose to be content too.  Always wanting more can be exhausting.  I think it’s a good idea to simplify life, get finances in order, prioritize relationships, look for a new job if the current one is not satisfying, count blessings, show appreciation for people, remember to breathe, smile often, set goals, work toward self-improvement, and despite your current condition choose to be happy.  

“A joyful heart makes a cheerful face; a sad heart makes a despondent mood.  All the days of a poor person are wretched, but contentment is a feast without end.” – Proverbs

###

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments!