Monday, September 26, 2011

SAVE THE STRAWBERRIES!!!

Saturday I bought strawberries from Costco to make strawberry rhubarb jam.  I don't know about you guys but any time I bring strawberries home I have to eat them the same day or they start to go mushy and grow things on them.  Joe bought rhubarb from the farmers market last week and we needed to use it ASAP.  The intention was to make rhubarb pie.  I've never had rhubarb pie so Joe was going to make it for us.
With everything going on in our life and due to everything else we've been cooking we hadn't gotten around to making pie.  And the jam session was looking bleak too.  So this blog should actually be titled SAVE THE STRAWBERRIES AND THE RHUBARB!  I saved them by mixing up a batch of strawberry rhubarb jam.  It took 30 minutes to make.  Instead of bottling them I'm freezing them which saves all the time.  I'm sure when you think about making homemade jam you picture a lot of work and an all day event.  Small batch preserving is your ticket to great homemade treats such as jams and jellies and you can rest easy at night knowing you didn't have to throw away good produce you didn't get around to eating.

Smash three cups of strawberries and one cub chopped rhubarb together in a bowl. 
Mix in 5 cups of sugar and one tablespoon of lemon juice.  
Let stand for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
In a sauce pan mix one packet of fruit pectin in 3/4 cup water.  
Bring pectin to a boil, let boil for one minute.  Stir constantly.   
Then mix the pectin mixture in with the strawberry mixture.  
Stir for three minutes and pour into freezer containers.


Jam will keep for three months in the refrigerator and one year in the freezer.



###

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments!