Sunday, December 4, 2011

Open their shut-up hearts freely...


“I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round, as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by on consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys.” –Charles Dickens

 I love how multifaceted Christmas is!  I love Santa Claus, Christmas Carols, the crowded shopping centers, family parties, traditional Christmas baking, presents, Christmas trees, delicious food everywhere you go, lights, fresh fallen snow, the smells, the feeling of gratitude for everything good in my life, and how aware people become of those less fortunate “fellow passengers to the grave”, and are willing to offer help.  As a child my mom would have us put together bags of packaged food and canned food for the homeless shelter or for a family who was struggling.  One year we took all of our old coats and coats that didn't fit us the shelter.  These are the Christmases I remember most.  The spirit of giving and charity is the spirit of Christmas.

“I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all year.”  --Charles Dickens  

### 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments!