Monday, October 1, 2012

Day Twenty-One: 30 Days of Gratitude

Joe's Gratitudes:
     Tonight I am grateful that there are many other wonderful craftsmen in the world that respect old traditions, and work tirelessly to preserve them.  I remember spending time with a man in Guatemala who made wonderful rustic harps, and then would play them with the national orchestra.  I have a friend who recreates furniture from the early Utah Mormon Pioneers.  And I have recently been communicating via e-mail with a few artisans in Latvia (a blacksmith and a carpenter) who make incredible tools.  A fellow I went to high school with creates beautiful hammered dulcimers.  We ignore tradition too frequently, to our loss.
     Along the same line of thinking, there is a company I am grateful for called Jas. Townsend & Son, Inc. (Jas. being an abreviation for 'James', of course).  they specialize in all sorts of clothing and equipment for re-enactors of the 18th and 19th Centuries.  I have a great pair of glasses I bought from them, as well as a few candle holders.
     I am grateful that canning and preserving is making a comeback.  Even if it is only a temporary fad, it certainly makes finding supplies easier for those of us who wish to make it a lifestyle!

Jill's Gratitudes:
     I am grateful for yeast!  If any of you have ever tried Joe's bread you know why I'm so grateful.  I am grateful to the knowledge of cooking and baking that my mother taught me growing up.  Homemade cooking tastes so good and brings me comfort.  I am grateful for family dinner!  I was raised in a home where we ate family dinner every night.  I remember learning, laughing, the occasional food fight, and lots of good food.  Now Joseph and I have family dinner every night with our family; sometimes we have breakfast, lunch and dinner together as a family.  I've enjoyed those times together as a family; a time to relax and get to know each other's personalities.

###

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments!