Wednesday, August 24, 2011

How do you perceive you?

I've been thinking a lot about the concept of impression and perception.  Often times when I've met someone and my first impression has been one of doubt or negative I always end up loving that person.  Its odd and I've done this so much that I know this about myself.  Now when I meet someone and my first thought is, "I don't know about this person..."  My second thought is, "this person is going to be great!"  As I keep thinking about impressions and perceptions of others I have to turn to the impression of self.  How do I perceive myself?  Do I give myself a good or bad impression?  Do I like myself or do I have doubts like when I meet someone new for the first time? Going even further on this train of thought, to have an impression of myself should I know myself?  And here it comes the all too common question, "who am I"?  What defines me?  What defines a person?  I have interests and hobbies, likes and dislikes but do these types of activities define who I am as a person?  Or does my definition of self dictate what interests me? At this point I have to stop and take a breath and get back to my original thought.  Ultimately the capability of impression and perception amazes me.  Another intellectual wonder that separates us from those other animals that wander the earth and provide humans with nutrients, energy and a fantastic Thanksgiving dinner (winks).

Impression:  An overall effect of something.
A strong effect produced on the intellect, feelings, conscience, etc.
The first and immediate effect of an experience of perception upon the mind; sensation.
The effect produced by an agency or influence.
A mark, indentation, figure, etc. produced by pressure.

Perceive:  Become aware or conscious of something; come to realize or understand.
Become aware of something by use of one of the senses.
Interpret or look on someone or something in a particular way.

When I figure out what defines me I then can realize my perception or the impression I leave on others and more importantly the impression I leave on myself.  When this realization happens I do hope to find that my overall effect leaves a mark, indentation, etc. on the world and in my own little world.  I sure would like to describe myself as a sensation!

JJBean

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments!