Monday, November 28, 2011

Writer's block!

I feel like this picture tonight, except I'm a woman not a man, and I don't have glasses, and I'm writing on a laptop rather than a typewriter, and I only have one leg.  Okay!  Okay!  You get the point!  
At the halfway mark of our 30 day project,
 I feel like all flow of creative thought 
or 
just thought has come to a screeching halt! 
Writer's block!


Writer’s block is a condition in which an author loses the ability to produce new work.  Writer’s block may have many or several causes.  Some are creative problems; a writer may run out of inspiration, or may be greatly distracted and feel that he/she may have something that should be done beforehand. 
I have not run out of inspiration but I have run out of a certain amount of motivation regarding writing.  I do feel distracted in that I would rather work on my embroidery and watch Dr. Who with Joseph.  I ought to throw in a load of laundry or two as well. 
Steven King said to overcome writer’s block one should think of writing as a regular job, and less as an art.  He used the metaphor of a toolbox, linking it to physical work.  If we think of ourselves as a laborer, as craftsmen, it’s easier to sit down and write.  We’re just putting words on the page, after all, one beside another, as a bricklayer puts down bricks.  At the end of the day, we’re just creating things, stories, poems, plays, or in my case essays, only writers use vocabulary and grammar instead of bricks and mortar.
Tomorrow I shall pick up my toolbox and get to work on brilliant essays.  Tonight I will go to bed.  Sweet dreams!
###

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments!