Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Italian Creamy Potato Soup & Toasted Focaccia

Tonight I made a really good soup:  Italian Creamy Potato Soup.  I'm saying the soup is Italian because ricotta cheese is in the recipe.  I don't really like soup or potatoes and I liked this soup.  I'm proud of myself because I wrote the recipe...  We toasted focaccia for dipping.



Ingredients:
3 potatoes, peeled and cubed.
3 celery stalks, diced.
2 cloves of garlic, diced.
1/2 onion chopped or 1 tsp onion powder.
1 tsp dried basil.
3 cup chicken broth.
1/2 heavy cream.
1/2 cup ricotta cheese.
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper.
2 Tbl spoons of olive oil or ghee.
2 carrots, diced.

Directions:
Pre-cook the potatoes in the microwave after peeling to speed up the cook time.  In the mean time heat oil or ghee in a sauce pan on medium heat.  Next dice celery, onion, and garlic.  Sweat celery, onion, and garlic in heated oil.  Dice pre-cooked potatoes and saute them with the veggies.  Saute for about 5 minutes more on medium.  Add basil, salt and pepper, saute for another minute.  Add chicken broth and bring to a boil for about 10 minutes.  Once potatoes are soft use immersion blender or food processor to puree.  Add cream, ricotta cheese, and diced carrots let simmer for 15 minutes.  

Enjoy!
###