Saturday, November 21, 2009

Humor...

I often do my best thinking in the shower... There is no out side noise to distract me, just the sound of running water. My soap smells clean and the atmosphere is warm. When you think about it the shower is a great place to get away for a minute. :)

This morning I had a thought about humor. I was thinking about what has helped me get through the hard times in my life. I can count on one hand what has helped me.
1. My mom. Better than any nurse I've had.
2. Good support system. I have a wonderful family and great friends that have been a positive force in my life.
3. Chick flicks and treats. These are essentials when one is stuck in bed healing.
4. Self Motivation, determination, goals, positive self talk, faith.....
5. Humor.

I want to focus on humor and share a couple experiences that helped me through rough times. I have many wonderful experiences but the two to follow stick out in my mind the most today.

When I was 18 I chose to have a surgery to re-plumb my insides so to speak. Long story short I now pee through my belly button. I was in the hospital for 8 days and came home with many tubes in my stomach. At that time in my life one of my best friend's was Jennifer Cottam. My mom and Jen always told me I looked like Trisha Yearwood, a country singer. When I woke up in my hospital room my family had decorated my room with hearts and pictures of Trisha Yearwood. Jennifer came to visit me. I can't remember what was exactly said but I remember Jen and my mom were talking about Trisha Yearwood and me. Something was said that struck us so funny. At the same time we were walking around the nurses station for one of my daily walks. We all started laughing so hard. I was crying and laughing at the same time given my current state. Then because I was crying due to laughter we started laughing more. I remember this experience as one that lift my spirits and helped the healing process begin.

The day after my amputation my mom was at the hospital helping me get dressed. You don't realize how habit forming you are until something happens to you that forces you to break your habits. I always put my pants or shorts on right leg first then left leg. My right leg was amputated. Didn't know yet that having my right leg amputated would pose a problem putting on shorts. My mom and I were trying to put on shorts. I would put my right leg (now much shorter) in first and then my left leg. Sure enough every time we put in my left leg my shorts would fall off my right leg. We tried this about three more times before realizing we have to first put my left leg in since it is much longer then my right leg now. We both started laughing at the situation. I was still pretty drugged up from the surgery and ambulance ride. So I thought this was the funniest situation ever. My mom started crying and laughing at the same time. Of course we started laughing more given the situation. This was another experience that helped lift our spirits.

One of my favorite lines from a very popular chick flick is "laughter through tears is my favorite emotion." I agree with this statement.

JJBean

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments!