Tuesday, December 11, 2012

You Don't Need A Reason To Help People


My mother has just under gone hip replacement surgery and is about to embark on a long journey of recovery.  Hopefully this surgery is a means to an end, and in a few months she'll back to shopping and living life without pain.  A few people have mentioned to me that it's good I'm going to help my mom since she has helped me through my surgeries.  I guess that's a reasonable comment, but to imply that the only reason I'm helping my mom is because she has helped me is just ignorant.  I would help my mom if I never had a single surgery in my life; I don't need a reason to help people.  Those of you who are daughters and have a relationship with your mother know that there are times you get on each others nerves and even drive each other crazy!  With everything my mother and I have been through together I make it a point not to hold anything against her and I'm pretty sure she doesn't hold anything against me.  Sure, memories of hurt feelings come up now and then, but forgiveness helps each other move past the bitterness and accept each other.   
I'm happy to help my mom, and, having had several surgeries myself, I'm happy to be there for her when the "good" medications wear off and the hard part of recovery begins.  Let the healing begin!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments!