Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Day Three: 30 Days of Gratitude

  Joe's gratitude:
     Tonight, topping the list of things I am grateful for is fermentation; mostly in the form of yeast and rennet.  I love to bake bread, and the process of feeling the dough develop under your hands, then watching it rise, is almost a magical experience.  And there are few comfort foods that are both as simple and as satisfactory as a slice of bread, hot and fresh out of the oven, slathered in butter.  Besides butter, the perfect companion to bread is cheese.  Jill and I have yet to make a foray into the cheese-making world, but it is only a matter of time, and the prospect excites us both.
     Second is heavy blankets.  This may sound a bit silly at first, but last night the temperature dropped to 34ยบ, and I was reminded that one of the great pleasures in life is to cuddle up with your spouse on a frigid night under a thick heavy blanket while you drift off to sleep.
     Finally, I am grateful for this blog.  A year or two ago I would never have dreamed that I would ever say such a thing.  I thought that the word "blog" was a stupid one (I still don't like it much), and I didn't really understand the purpose.  But now this blog has become an integral part of our lives, and a way for us to share our lives with our friends and loved ones.  I don't personally write posts often (unless the writing forms an integral part of a thirty day challenge), but I love to look over Jill's shoulder as she composes our posts and chooses photographs.  Often times thinking about how a future blog post will look influences the way we approach a project or task, and makes us more mindful about it.

Jill's gratitude:
     Tonight I'm grateful for the invention of texting!  I love that I can work, clean up my kitchen and have a conversation with my sister through texting at the same time.  I can still keep in touch with people but continue on about my day!  I love getting random texts from Joseph throughout the day too!  I am grateful for my sister and her love of texting as well.  We talk everyday through texting; sometimes we talk over the phone and continue to text after that. . .  Most of all I'm grateful for the wonderful example my sister sets for me.  My sister is an awesome mother, homemaker, and friend.  Last, I'm grateful for Amber.  She is one of my chickens, my favorite one actually.  I know I shouldn't have a favorite animal daughter but some are just easier to connect with then others; just like humans actually.  Amber is our close talker chicken, in fact, she gets up close and personal and just stares.  I wonder what is going on in her little head while shes staring at me.  It is hilarious to watch Amber and Raz together.  They both stand face to face and stare at each other; Raz is usually kicking his hind legs trying to create an intimidating situation for Amber.  After about 30 seconds of staring at each other, Amber pecks Raz on the nose and he takes off running.  I am amazed at how one little chicken can bring me such joy.  I am truly grateful!

###

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments!