Monday, January 7, 2013

Craftsman or Artist

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist."  - Louis Nizer

Recently at Restoration Books the question was brought to us:  Do we believe book binders to be artists?  The gentleman posing the question took a stance that book binders are not artists.  Joseph and Mike took a different stance believing that book binders are in fact artists.  Don't believe me?  Take a look at the books HERE and tell me book binders aren't artists.  Joseph and I have had several conversations now about what it is to be an artist, which lead us to talking about craftsmen, which lead me to my next blog for Restoration Books:  Profiles of Craftsmen.  While researching craftsmen I found this video HERE  of traditional turning.  This video sparked some inspiration in Joseph and me, and the projects have been soaring through our house, and the lists of future projects are getting longer and longer.  I can't get over the feeling of being inspired!

This weekend Joseph started a few carving projects and once again I am amazed at Joseph's talent.  When he sets out to accomplish something, the finished product is amazing!  Joseph is in the process of making flatware.  So far he's finished two spoons and a fork.  See the process through some photos below:






Like the quote says:  "a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist."

###