Thursday, December 17, 2009

More documentation...

My cousin Tiff cracks me up... I do feel smarter using a cane. :)

All together I've had 7 surgeries. One when I was five years old, I barely remember that one. I do remember one nurse forced me to eat a horrible dinner. I can still picture the nurse in my head but I can't remember the food she made me eat.

When I was 18 I chose to have a surgery that enabled me to self cath through my belly button. I've been re-plumed using all of my own body parts. I'll explain the details of this surgery in another blog.

I've had 4 surgeries removing bladder stones. Now that I self cath through my belly button I'm prone to bladder stones. I didn't know this until I was on my mission. I was in horrible pain and when I cathed myself I found a lot of blood in my urine. I know, gross details but these are the facts. :) I had an IVP test in Virginia and we found two bladder stones in my bladder, each the size of golf balls. I was on the next flight home after that doctor visit. My doctor here in Utah, Dr. Labasky, still has the stones in his office. I remember after the surgery I went in for a check up and Dr. Labasky brought the stones in the examination room. He was like a kid in a candy store. He was so excited to show me his findings. I was less then enthusiastic since he pulled them out of me. I let him keep his little treasures. :)

I had a minnie amputation of my little toe on my right foot. Little did I know that was the beginning of another amputation yet to come.

Last but not least I had my right leg amputated just below the knee. So 7 surgeries all together.

It's hard to say which surgery was more tough then the other. The removal of the bladder stones were more annoying than anything. The little toe removal was great!

If I had to rate what has been the hardest to go through I'd say the surgery when I was 18. Messing with one's insides is never good. Of course I didn't know this until it was too late. To re-route my urine we used parts of my small and large intestines and my appendix. Never mess with the intestines!

Loosing my leg would be next in line. I have never known such pain. This was pain that medicine couldn't take away. Icing and heating helped the most. My residual limb still hurts everyday. I've just built a tolerance to the nerves.

I have a theory about physical pain. I think I've blogged about it before. I remember these surgeries hurt but I can't relive the actual pain when I think back on the memories. Emotional pain is worse. When I think back about a heart break or humiliation when I was teased as a kid I can feel that heart break or humiliation all over again. Of course I've moved on and gotten over the emotional situations. I just think it is interesting that emotional pain can be felt or re-lived again.

Blog later...

JJBean

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments!