Monday, December 12, 2011

Essay thirty of 30!


“Don’t loaf and invite inspiration; light out after it with a club, and if you don’t get it you will none the less get something that looks remarkably like it.”  Jack London
      This is essay thirty of 30!  This won’t be the last of our 30 day projects as I think it’s safe to say Joseph and I are hooked.  Personally I’m hooked on the idea of trying something new every thirty days.  I’m hooked on the feeling of accomplishment, on spending time with my husband, on being productive, on thinking outside of my own box, on the challenge of putting my thoughts into something readable and understandable, on being creative, and feeling inspired.
     When I first saw the 30 day presentation on Ted Talks website I thought to myself, “that is silly, who has time to do that”?  I watched the presentation a few more times and started feeling motivated and excited when I thought about all of the things I’ve always wanted to try but haven’t gotten around to.  Joseph and I talked and decided to take on the challenge of writing essays for our first 30 day project.  We both have lists of projects we want to try, some we’ll do together and some we’ll do on our own.  However, working on goals with a companion is so much better than tackling them alone.  There were some nights we pushed each other to write and not disregard the project.  We helped each other with our thoughts while writing and ended up having great conversations throughout these past 30 days.  Joseph is a great editor as well. 
     At the conclusion of our first project I’ve realized these past thirty days had very little to do with what I wrote.  I enjoyed the process of writing and I loved sharing my essays with my family and friends on Facebook, but ultimately I learned how to stay committed to a goal and finish something I set out to do.  I learned how to prioritize and use my time wisely.  I learned how to communicate better through writing.  I overcame self-doubt and fear of what people may think about my opinions written in my essays.  The best lesson I’ve learned:  If there is something you want to do, you can do it if you “light out after it with a club…”  On to the next 30 day project!

###

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments!